Last update: December, 2018
Every year, communities across the U.S. face natural disasters like hurricanes, earthquakes, wildfires, and tornadoes. In these times of disaster, Yoobi recognizes that our education communities need our help more than ever, and through our national give partner, the Kids in Need Foundation (KINF), we support efforts that allow students and schools to recover more quickly.
To learn more about how Yoobi works with KINF to provide support to communities following major U.S. disasters, check out our Q&A below:
Q: How does the Kids In Need Foundation help communities following a disaster?
A: KINF’s Second Responder® program is dedicated to providing school supplies to students affected by natural disasters. They work with local authorities, schools, and select sponsors to help communities return to normal routines.
The KINF’s Second Responder® program operates during the recovery period following the devastation, which follows first response relief that provides the most critical necessities of food, shelter, and medical aid. KINF tries to bring hope and a reminder that things will get better when we work together. At Yoobi, we love that!
Q: How does Yoobi work with KINF and their Second Responder Program?
A: Yoobi donates Classroom Packs filled with classroom essentials to KINF for distribution to elementary schools where 70% or more of the students qualify for the free and reduced-price meal program. However, when disaster strikes, we quickly coordinate with KINF to help redirect material support to impacted communities.
Q: Where and when has Yoobi responded to natural disasters in the past?
A: Working through KINF’s Second Responder program, Yoobi has made special supply deliveries to:
- 2016: Baton Rouge, LA – Following extraordinary flooding, Yoobi helped provide school supply sets to every classroom at University Terrace Elementary School.
- 2017: Texas and Florida – Yoobi deployed school supplies to support over 185,000 students across Texas and Florida following Hurricanes Maria and Irma.
- 2017: Sonoma Fires – Yoobi provided 400 supply sets to kids who had been impacted by one of California’s worst wildfires.
- 2017: Puerto Rico – Supply sets for 15,000 students have been sent to Puerto Rico to support kids and schools as they rebuild and recover following Hurricanes Maria and Irma.
- 2018: Panama City, FL – In progress
- 2018: Valdosta, GA – In progress
- 2018: Paradise, CA – In progress
More information on our donations to schools affected by the hurricanes in Puerto Rico:
Yoobi teamed up with the Kids In Need Foundation to provide 500 Yoobi Classroom Packs to support 15,000 students on the island. While the Kids In Need Foundation does not currently have a permanent presence in Puerto Rico, they worked to identify schools and coordinated the deployment of supplies through local partnerships. Read more about Yoobi’s support in Puerto Rico.
Looking for support for your school in Puerto Rico, or looking to provide support to schools on the island? We suggest visiting Charity Navigator, where you'll find a list of vetted organizations that are doing amazing work in Puerto Rico.
Click here to learn more about the Kids in Need Foundation Second Responder program!